We won't deny it. Spring is on our mind. Blossoms stuck to the bottom of our shoes, afternoons sipping on North Canterbury rosé, spears of asparagus galore at the farmers market and clean sheets drying in the sun...
But for now, who're we kidding?! It's still blimmin' cold out there and on those days where we walk in the door with frosty pink noses, there's nothing our soul wants more than a bowl of Spicy Chicken Soup. One bite for yourself and we think you'll agree.
SPICY CHICKEN SOUP
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon curry powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 large onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, diced
1 tablespoon flour
½ cup long grain rice
2 litres chicken stock
Salt and pepper
Juice of a lemon
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 tin coconut cream
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
How to make the magic happen:
1. Melt butter in soup pot and add spices.
2. Cook for one minute and add vegetables, stirring until they begin to brown.
3. Sprinkle in flour and stir through vegetables.
4. Add rice and stock and bring to the boil then simmer until rice is cooked.
5. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
6. Add chicken and coconut cream and bring to the boil.
7. Add parsley and serve.
Ahhhh. Feel better? We thought you might.
< RECIPE: Boozy Hot Choc & Winter Spice Marshmallow
Spring into Smorgasbord action... >